Crispy Seltzer Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Slightly rounded ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and and cooled and 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups seltzer or club soda (from a new bottle)
- Vegetable oil for brushing waffle iron
Accompaniments: butter; pure maple syrup
Special Equipment: a well-seasoned or nonstick Belgian waffle iron or a standard waffle iron
Preheat waffle iron. Put a rack in the middle of oven and put a large cooling rack on it. Preheat oven to 200°F.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter, eggs, seltzer, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Brush waffle iron lightly with oil. Spoon batter into iron, using ⅓ cup batter for each 4-inch Belgian waffle, and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm; keep waffles in one layer, uncovered, so they stay crisp. Make more waffles in same manner.
Serve with butter and maple syrup.